Thursday, July 1, 2010

How I broke Elizabeth Castle

A shameful day. I sailed with my daughter to Elizabeth Castle harbour for a picnic tea. There was already a boat on the floating pontoon so we tied to the mooring points on the jetty. The swell was quite significant but the boat looked OK to leave for the 10 minutes or so we'd be gone.

On my return, I was horrified to see a huge chunk of the jetty missing. The bow line was now hanging vertically downwards with the mooring point it was attached to still embedded in a large piece of Tudor masonry some feet below the waves. I only just could pull it up.

Unsure whether to leave a note, I plucked up the courage to email Jersey Heritage when I got home.

Dear Sirs,

I visited Elizabeth Castle last Sunday with my boat, a small (19ft) sailboat. I tied up to the stone jetty as someone was already on the floating pontoon. Unfortunately the inner most ring on the jetty, which was quite rusty, broke away as my boat moved around a bit in the swell and took a sizeable chunk of the jetty
away with it. Fortunately no damage was sustained to my boat as a result.
yours,

Jason Wyatt



Never got a reply, so I guess I'm in the clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment