Wednesday, May 6, 2009

New Home #1



Last night I moved Kamala from her illegal parking space to what I think is her outer mooring. It was blowing up to F5 after work (the pics are from a different day later on) but it was the only time I had.

Disappointingly, the oar I'd left in my dinghy had been stolen, so I had to 'borrow' one from another, which I did return after use.


A good chance to try out the new second reef system and the overhauled engine. Both worked perfectly. The latter was burbling away at low revs in neutral as we sailed out of the harbour. A few gust caught us by surprise but the boat was more than up to it. Despite towing the dinghy we were sailing along merrily.

Wasn't confident enough to try sailing onto the mooring in the gusty westerly, and even under motor it would have been nice to have crew.

So now Kamala is on mooring L4 in St Aubins outer harbour. She seemed to be swinging around a lot more than the other boats around there, perhaps due to wind eddies, being so close to the harbour walls. Sadly, the lovely new white mooring buoy I'd decorated with Kamala's name and my phone number had disappeared from the mooring. Either worked loose, stolen, or moved by someone who thinks mooring L4 is theirs.

I reckon she floats at about 6m of tide. HT was 4:49pm BST last night and at 7:40 she was just aground. I'll do the calcs later.


On returning to dry land the first thing I did was to buy new oars. Not sure the decrepit dinghy is up to it though. Gunwales are almost off.

No comments:

Post a Comment