Saturday, August 29, 2009

Sark to Herm

Saturday 29th August 2009 Sark to Herm, 5.5NM
 
Wind SW 3-4 Fair and Sunny
 
The wind finally dropped overnight, so I left for Herm around 7am, hoping to have a bit of a sail on the way. After heading North for an hour or so against the tide and not getting far fast, I turned east and motored for Belvoir Bay. When I arrived the beach and anchorage were deserted so, not being too sure on how far in to go I anchored a way off shore. In the end the privacy further out was quite welcome as many boats and ferry-born day trippers soon swarmed into the bay. There was at least one fouled anchor among the yachts. I rowed ashore and walked around Herm, having a first class Greek salad at the pub next to the harbour, and writing postcards.
 
Does everyone find there's something special about swimming off your own boat, or will the novelty wear off? Anyway, I returned to Kamala, and swam a few circuits around her. It was the first day hot enough to try out my solar shower. What a fantastic device! Every boat should have one. After the swim, I hung the shower on the boom and washed in the bottom of the cockpit.
 
I cooked myself dinner and then phoned Herm harbour office to request permission to stay the night and moved along to shell beach, swinging the lead line to anchor in as close as possible without grounding in the morning. After being crowded with so many boats and people during the day it was a treat to share the whole of Shell Beach (it felt like the whole of Herm) with just one other vessel that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment